I had the idea to do a literal ‘bucket’ bucket bag, but with some wraparound artwork burned into the leather. This bag project is the one that took me the longest–I estimate around 48 hours of work (on and off)!
I got this fine graphing paper from Lory, an art store in Florence, on the recommendation of a classmate of mine. It’s great for detail work but ultimately not necessary if you’re adept enough with making patterns and cutting. You can be as precise as you want with tracing the patterns onto here but being as precise in the cutting is a whole other story. I basically ended up just measuring everything out again onto the leather directly.
The slow process of pyrography. The whole drawing took me around 8 hours.
The completed drawing (I didn’t really have a theme or idea in mind when I started. I was basically just drawing random things and trying out different techniques with the pyro tool):
Then my teacher Stefano suggested that we use a black-tinted leather grease to finish it with so that it would bring out the linework
Then it was time to stitch the bucket together.
To go with the graphic quality of the bag, I decided to use a cross stitch instead of a normal stitch. Since the artwork theme is quite dark, I thought the cross stitch would look good with it
Cross stitching was a slow and painful process (my fingers were really sore after), and required some Friends accompaniment :)) Cross-stitching took me about 30-40 hours in total
Attaching the base
Then I put a stormy grey pig skin leather lining to complete the bag (I wish I had had a bigger piece that could be fully drawn closed, but I didn’t have any at the time
And of course some feet to protect the base
Took it around Boboli Gardens in Florence for a mini photoshoot for my school portfolio; love how the leather looks in the sun!
And here it is after more than a year of aging, with the Ponte Vecchio in the background. So golden! ❤